Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Growing and Sewing


My melons are growing, albeit slowly.  It has been a cool summer and a late planting on my part kept them from ripening when they should have.  I still believe I will have some amazingly sweet and wonderful melons soon.  We have been enjoying the tomatoes that have ripened as well.  To me there is nothing quite like a warm ripe tomato right off the vine.

No sewing has happened yet today.  It has been a computer day.  I am not especially fond of these kind of days but they are necessary.  It does feel good to have the supply lists for upcoming classes done and sent, orders for patterns filled and shipped, emails sent, questions answered, etc. completed.  

I have wanted to undertake another scrappy block quilt and decided I would invite you along on this journey with me.  Starting in September I will post blocks and a picture tutorial on putting them together for each month until we complete enough for a quilt.  I am looking forward to using up some of my stash and scraps for this.  My scrap baskets that I had organized so neatly have now become scrap overflowing baskets and organization has gone out the window.  I hate when I let that happen.

I hope you choose to come "grow and sew" with me in September.

Loving the smell of falling rain,
Dee

Making this for dinner and thought you might like the recipe.  Posting this one for my knitting friends and our conversations about poke cakes.  :)

BANANA PUDDING POKE CAKE!!!

A new way to make it! 

Ingredients

1 box yellow cake mix (& ingredients to make cake)
2 box (small) instant banana pudding
4 c milk
8 oz whipped topping
20 vanilla wafers, crushed
sliced bananas - use your own judgment

Directions

1 Follow the direction on the cake mix box to prepare the actual cake. Prepare it in a 9 x 13" pan. When golden, remove from over and let cool for a few minutes.
2 When just slightly cooled, use the end of a wooden spoon (the handle end) to poke holes into the baked cake. Don't be shy; make the holes big enough for the pudding to seep into and go deep enough with the spoon that you hit the bottom of the pan.
3 Next, prepare your pudding mixture. Combine your 4 cups of milk and the instant pudding mix; whisk until fully combined and there are no lumps.
4 Now it's time to fill those holes! Pour the pudding mixture over the entire cake, taking care to get it into all your holes. Use the spoon to help really get it into the cake and spread evenly.
5 Refrigerate for about two hours... or until set. Top with whipped topping, crushed vanilla wafers and sliced banana! Serve and enjoy. (Refrigerate any leftovers.)
(From Betty Crocker and Just a pinch)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful melons, Dee! Gardens are right up there with quilts!!

    I'm in for the scrap along! Can't wait.

    . . . and thanks for posting the recipe - yummy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete