Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It's Your Choice



Finished up a project today.  It always feels good to be done.  This quilt has quite a few half square triangles positioned in different directions.  To keep them straight I chain sew them in rows and keep the rows attached with the threads so I don't get them out of order.


In the first picture you can see the threads between the rows where I have kept them attached.  The seam ripper is pointing to the attached threads.  In the second picture I have my next row laying to the right of my sewing foot in the order that I removed them from my design wall.  As I sew each row to the next I finger press the seam either to the left or right as I go so that it is easier to press with the iron when I have completed all the rows.  Once I have finger pressed I will add the next square and stitch and so on....

Pressing tip:  There are different camps as to whether one should use steam or a dry iron when pressing your pieces.  I am from the dry iron camp.  The steam makes the block wet and wet fabric has a lot more play and room for stretching or distorting.  Pressing a half square triangle can be tricky especially if you have the urge to iron (that back and forth motion) instead of press.  To keep a good square with no distortion I run the tip or side of iron along the seam and set or press the iron flat on the square for a couple of seconds and it will be wonderfully flat.  That is my reasoning, but steam or dry is your choice for the best results.

What should my new project be?  That at times is a very difficult choice for me.

Enjoy your days and may you be showered with love.

Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment