Saturday, April 27, 2013

It's a fabric kind of day....

The store where I've been teaching has had a big sale going on which has brought out the quilter's looking for bargains.  Working was so much fun today because so many of the ladies shopping were wanting to find fabrics for all kinds of projects.  I love the hunt for just the right fabric that puts a smile on their face.  I think there were a lot of happy shoppers today!  I even found a few fabrics I couldn't leave in the store. :)


Where do you start when choosing fabric for a quilt?  I believe the pattern dictates some of that.  How much contrast or blending fabrics do you need?  Is there a fabric that is more predominate than the rest in the pattern? You will want your fabrics to have contrast, without it your pieced design will disappear.
Start with the color you want and then move to the value you need, how light or dark your color in the fabric is and what your pattern is calling for.  Fabric character is next, does it have movement, dots, stripes, swirls, geometric designs, etc.  Now you can find that one fabric that you absolutely love and is in the color family you want and need.  From there you can find those character prints that support and contrast with your main or theme fabric.  Remember to pay attention to value as you choose.  I find a color wheel and a ruby beholder help me choose my fabrics to create that stunning quilt.

Friendship is like a warm, cozy quilt -
stitched with a thousand threads of joy.

Have a colorfilled day,

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment