Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Stashbuster Sampler Sew-a-long


The time has come to bust some more of my stash.  I'm inviting you along.  I will be making an 8 inch block every other week and posting a tutorial for you to follow along with me.

Step 1:  Open those stash bins, drawers, shelves or boxes and find a theme fabric to build your sampler
             around.  I started with 3 different fabrics and found as much fabric from the stash that I thought
             would work with each one.  I settled on a deep brown with red flowers.  I'm getting in the fall
             mood and thought it could also work as a Christmas possibility.
             Here is my final palette.  Obviously a lot more fabrics than I need but it will certainly open up                                  the choices for each block for me.

Step 2:  Time to decide which blocks I want to include.  I searched through my library, drew some on 
             my own and searched the internet.  There are a lot of possibilities but I hope that what I've 
             chosen will be wonderful.  My designing tends to be somewhat organic and develops as I work
             on the quilt so in some ways this will become a mystery.  (For you and me)

Step 3:  This is the block I chose for the first one.  It is a variation on the Ohio Star.

Step 4:  Fabric requirements:
             A - the white background - 5 1/4" square cut twice diagonally for the geese triangles and
                   four 2 1/2" squares for the corners
             B - dark gold for the snowball corners and star point triangles
                   four 1 1/2" squares,  two 3 1/4" squares cut diagonally twice
             C - brown for the star point triangles - two 3 1/4" squares cut diagonally twice
             D - peach for the center snowball, one 4 1/2" square
Step 5:  Sew the star point triangles together to form triangles.  You will need four of them with the
             darker fabric to the right and four with the darker fabric on the left.

Step 6:  Sew these units to the sides of the geese triangles to make 4 flying geese.

Step 7:  Draw a sewing line diagonally through the 1 1/2" squares and sew them to the corners of the
             peach snowball block.  Trim away the excess fabric and press.
Step 8:  Assemble the Ohio Star block according to the picture.  We're on our way!!!!!!!

If you have questions or need help please leave a comment or email.  I would love to hear from you and see your blocks as we progress.

Have a Happy!!!!!!!!

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment