Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sew Along-Block #2

Whew!  There have been some crazy busy days since returning from CA.  I am happy to have block #2 ready to go.

Pinwheel Dance
You need 4 different fabrics

Fabric 1- the background (green) cut 4 squares at 2 3/8", cut 6 squares 2 7/8"

Fabric 2- (plaid) cut 4 squares at 2 3/8,  cut 3 squares at 2 7/8"

Fabric 3 - (coral) cut 1 square at 2 7/8" and cut in half diagonally

Fabric 4 - (center print) cut 1 square at 3 1/2"

Step 1:  Cut all of your individual pieces.  Draw your sewing lines on the back of the 4 small green squares for the half square triangles in the pinwheels and draw them on the back of 3 of the larger squares for your half square triangles.


Step 2:  I recommend chain stitching all of your half square triangles, cutting apart and pressing.  Clip the bunny ears.

Step 3:  Assemble your pinwheels as shown and sew together.  You will have two when completed.

Step 4:  Press your pinwheels by opening up the center and laying it flat as seen in the picture.  This eliminates the bulk and will make it easier to quilt over as well.

Step 5:   Cut the remaining 3, 2 7/8" squares in half diagonally.  Assemble the half square triangles and the triangles as shown.  Sew together in rows.

Step 6:  Sew the pinwheels to the opposite sides of the 3 1/2" square.  Sew the half square units to each side of the center unit.  Complete the block by sewing the remaining triangles to the two corners of your block as per the picture of the block above.

I hope you are enjoying the sew along so far.  Please let me know how it is going for you and if I need to be more explicit with instructions.

Hopefully you are enjoying these beautiful fall days and crisp nights as much as I am.  Autumn is truly putting on a show here in MI.

Blessings and love,
Dee






4 comments:

  1. I think your directions and photos of the steps are great. I can't wait to see how everyone's samplers come out. We should post them (fb or yahoo) when the projects are complete.
    Thanks for making us feel like we're all not so very far apart xo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. If you send pictures along the way to my email address I will post them on the blog so all can see what each one is doing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dee! I'm so sorry to have missed you when you were here and I heard great things about the Friendship Club!!
    I'm enjoying your "Sew Along".
    Hope to see you on your next visit....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorry to have missed you too. Hugs to you. Check out my reply to Jennifer and send me pictures. See you soon.

      Delete