Friday, March 20, 2015

Half Square Triangles

There are about six projects in progress in my studio right now and several of them have half square triangles involved in some way.  Making them is a pretty basic quilting technique.  I would like to share a few of the ways I tackle them.


Putting two squares right sides together and marking on one your sewing lines and cutting line makes the square come out well.  I also oversize them and cut them down after sewing them which really gives me great accuracy.


Using my easy angle ruler, especially when I need to save fabric, is another way I enjoy making the half square triangles.  With this ruler you don't need to add the 7/8" to the finished size but cut strips adding only the 1/2" seam allowance.  Put the strips right sides together and follow the directions with the ruler and sew.  Be careful as you sew not to distort the bias edge.


Using these Star Singles papers when I have a lot of half square triangles to make is probably my most favorite method.  They sew up quickly and I get great accuracy and it makes the job less daunting.  The paper comes off quite easily, especially when I run the back side of my seam ripper down the stitched line the paper practically falls off.

My retreat in California was wonderful.  I so enjoy being with the ladies that come and I certainly relished the warmer weather and beautiful sunshine.  I am now preparing for the upcoming retreat in Michigan.  It promises to be fun and productive.

Enjoy this first day of Spring and its promise of good things to come.

Blessings,
Dee



No comments:

Post a Comment