Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Stormy Weather

We have had some great thunder and lightening storms over the last week.  Of course they also bring the uprooted trees, tornado touchdowns and wind damage but they are exciting to watch and listen to.

My quilt room looks like it has gone through wind damage.  There are at least six projects in the works to finish and they are laying on tables and floor - wherever I could find a spot.  My very type A organized husband just shakes his head and asks how I can work in that mess.  Don't tell him but it is getting to the point that I need to do some organizing and cleaning.

Why is there such a mess and so many projects, you ask?  The summer quilt retreat is fast approaching and I have a bunch of favors to make, I need to complete my demo step-outs,  one wedding quilt due in July and the second one in September and prep for the classes I am presently teaching to name but a few.

In the midst of all this chaos I have found a very helpful organizing method.  As I complete projects and have just a bit of fabric left over and not enough  to use in another quilt I strip the fabric or cut it into squares and store them by size and color or style of fabric. Since I am a fan of scrappy quilts it is proving to be a very quick way to make a quilt and use up the leftovers with some pretty stunning results.  Many of Edyta Sitar's patterns are great ones for using up those strips and squares.  Baskets on a bookshelf make a pretty and organized way to store those strips and squares too.

May the storms in your life only be the gentle rains that nourish.

Blessings,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment