Friday, June 13, 2014

Old is New

This past week I have been doing some research on signature quilts along with just enjoying all the quilt designs from the past.  Brett and Stephanie have decided not to have a traditional guest book for the wedding but have everyone sign a quilt block as the guest book and after the wedding I will assemble the blocks.  Personally I think it is a great idea.  I know how much I have enjoyed the quilt In Between Stitches did for me when I moved to MI.  I know it will bring them a great deal of joy and warmth through the years, much more than my guest book that sits on a shelf and rarely if ever opened.

How distracted I get!!!  During my research I had a few aha moments.  Many of the antique quilts from the 19th and 20th centuries were very graphic and organic.  They look an awful lot like many of the modern quilts of today.  There are so many different types and styles of quilts and all are so beautiful.  Whether you are a traditionalist, an art quilter, modern bent, contemporary, landscapist quilter or other it doesn't matter, just enjoy it all and once in a while jump out of your box and try something new.  I have found that trying new things makes me a better "loose traditionalist" quilter.  I'm jumping into paint, gilding, felting, embellishing, couching and seeing how many different ways freezer paper can really be used.  It's messy and fun!

Following is an example of what I found and saw the similarities of todays modern or contemporary quilter.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment