Thursday, June 13, 2013

Giving Back

This morning I helped a group of ladies make memory quilts for Hospice families.  What an inspirational time and great project.  My job was to iron on doves to the quilts for someone else to machine applique.  When I accomplished 234 of those my next assignment was to cut out an additional 144 doves and press them on to the next bunch of quilts.  I was a bit flighty and inspired when I left.  If you have the opportunity to help with such a project, please do it.  You will find yourself to be blessed tremendously and you will be a blessing to others as well.

In the afternoon I met with a group of quilters for some hand sewing time and fellowship.  I enjoyed it tremendously.

Yesterday was the start of a new beginners class for me and we worked on cutting and the same questions keep surfacing with every class so I thought I'd pass on a few thoughts on conserving your mat and cutting for accuracy.

1.  Press your fabric before starting to cut and make sure it is flat and smooth as you line it up to cut.      This will help eliminate the problem of rainbow curves in your strips.

2.  Start off the fabric as you start to cut and keep your blade against the ruler at a slight right angle.

3.  Cut with the rulers measurements and not the mat's.  Repeated cutting along the same lines on the mat will etch permanent grooves that will not heal and keep you from cutting accurately.  I find that turning my mat over and using my ruler only eliminates that problem completely.

Delight in each day.
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment