Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pattern Reading

Today I spent several hours helping a fairly new quilter decipher a pattern she wanted to make for her Mother.  To say the least the directions were complicated and did not have all the steps one needed to do for success.  She was frustrated and I was soon on my way to frustration.  This isn't the first time I have come across this problem and I dare say I have also written some poor instructions for my patterns.  It happens.

When you buy a new pattern take the time to read all the way through it first to make sure you understand what it is you will be doing.  If there is a problem you will usually catch it in this first read through.  Put your piecing smarts in gear and ask if there is anything in the pattern that could be done a different or easier way-or just a way you like better.  If so write out how to accomplish the changes and if more or less fabric is needed.  I have found that if I cut out for one block and put it together I may find ways I want to attack it differently before I cut up all my fabric.  Once that is done and I am happy then I will cut my fabric and tackle as much chain piecing as I can and enjoy the process.

Following the author's directions took the two of us about 2 1/2 hours to complete one section.  I saw that I could accomplish the same thing with strip piecing and cutting on a forty five degree angle.  We made an additional four blocks in the next 30 minutes.  What an incredible timesaver.  She's happier and so am I.

Today is one of those picturesque beautiful fall days.  Loving it!  May you find joy in your day and remember to breathe deeply.

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment