Monday, August 24, 2015

Take Care of that Cutting Mat

That I have been Off-the-radar-screen is certainly an understatement.  Preparation for my California retreat and vacation took up the first part of the summer.  The trip to CA was wonderful, starting with meeting and seeing old friends, hugs and greetings from Leslie, Melissa and Carson, the retreat was excellent, and the time spent with my children was a precious gift.

While in CA I picked up a stack of beautiful and bright fabrics.  I am in the process of turning them into a pretty wild drunkards path quilt.  Can't wait to finish it!

My cutting mat has been through a lot with me and I have appreciated how well it has held up through the years.  Part of the reason for that is the wisdom of the woman I bought it from many years ago.  She shared with me how to care for my mat so that it would give me many years of use and she was right.

Your mat needs hydration from time to time.  She advised that I soak it in warm water and use a little dish detergent and a soft brush and scrub it.  I try to do this once a year, but more often I'm sure wouldn't hurt.  In between I use a damp cloth and wipe it down.

After each time I use it I have a piece of leftover batting that I wipe it down with to get the fabric particles out of the cut marks.  This helps it to self heal as it should.

Her last bit of wisdom was to keep sharp blades in my rotary cutter and avoid sawing back and forth on my mat.  I could do better at this one.

Let me know if you have learned additional ways of caring for this sewing room workhorse.

Blessings,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment