Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Saying Yes

It is hard for me to say no when asked to do something for someone and those rare times I do say no I feel so guilty for awhile.  I was asked some time ago to finish a quilt top for a guy whose mother started it but did not get the chance to finish it.  She passed away before completing it.

It was daunting at first, not because it was a difficult pattern but because I felt that I was treading on sacred ground, or fabric as it were.  This was to be a gift of love from a mother to her son and as I looked, studied and tried to understand what I was to do to complete it I felt that mother's love and determination to finish.  The top was in varying degrees of completion and she had left a few drawings and templates so I had a general idea of what to do.  Staying true to what she was doing and keeping it as close to original as I could I finished the top this week.  What an awesome honor!  It will be packaged and passed on to her son for Christmas!  This is one time I am glad that I answered "yes".

Working on the quilt made me think of my own children and was certainly missing them this week.  I will soon be a mother-in-law and trying to contemplate what that will be like.  For all you mothers of sons with wives what advice would you give to help me be a good, affirming and loving mother-in-law?

The snow is falling, it is terribly cold and I think I'll make some hot chocolate!

Blessings to you all,

Dee

Send those sew-a-long pictures to me!  Would love to see your progress.

Many gifts come swathed 
In paper,
A work of art.
The best gifts come sheathed
In skin,
A work of the heart.

1 comment: